Print this page|
UNIC Moscow Meeting of the Group of Friends of the Disability Convention, Moscow, 15 November 2010
Tell a Friend
A regular meeting of the “Group of Friends” of the Disability Convention was held at UNIC on 15 November 2010. UNIC Director Alexandre Gorelik reports on the proceedings.
The meeting brought together advocates for the disability cause, representatives of civil society, businesses, UN agencies and several persons with disabilities. “Newcomers” included a representative of the Moscow office of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) and a couple of other prospective partners.
The agenda included the following items:
- Measures to finalize the validation process of the translation of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) into Russian (the text is ready and has been posted online. We are awaiting confirmation from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C));
- Plans to organize a presentation of the Russian version of the International Survey of Web Accessibility Policies (White Paper) produced by G3ict; we intend to complete the editing in a couple of weeks and launch the report in mid-December;
- Detailed account of the outcomes of the All-Russian Festival “An Electronic Future-2010”;
- Report on the regional seminar on the e-accessibility for Central European & CIS Countries organized by the ITU in Odessa, Ukraine, on 1-2 November 2010;
- Exchange of views on activities to mark the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, 3 December;
- The conversation was quite lively and meaningful. Plans to mark the International Day were discussed in some detail, and ideas shared on how to better collaborate. Also, some long-term initiatives for 2011 were presented, and proposals for partnerships were put forward.
- We will be reporting to you in due course on the way the International Day of Persons with Disabilities will be observed in Moscow.
UNIC Moscow 15 November 2010: meeting of the "Group of Friends" of the Disability Convention